Wednesday 12 April 2017

Clip - The Martian

For this blog post, I will be talking about my favourite clip from The Martian and explaining why I chose it.
I will be talking about the cinematography, location used in the clip, acting, how it is edited, lighting and just generally about what I can see in the scene.

Clip 1




I chose this clip because I really like the camera-work especially and also I feel that this clip allows to show the viewers when Mark (Damon's character) at the point he is struggling.
As you can tell by the lighting it isn't as bright as other clips I have chosen, this is because this scene is filmed in the middle of night (you can see outside the window).  There is a blue cast towards it to show how cold is it and it allows the viewers as well watching feel cold too.

There are different camera angles used in this clip.  It starts of with an establishing shot which allows the viewers the location where this clip is set - it is in the middle of 'Mars' and it is showing Mark on his journey.  It then cuts to inside the car which used a basic camera angle - a mid shot of Mark explaining how cold it is and how he is going to turn on the heating.
I don't know exactly what cameras were used when filming this scene but I do know that one was the GoPro Hero 4.  I can tell this by the beginning and near the end of the scene by a camera angle which is attached on the top of the car looking towards

There are very simple cuts in this scene from one camera angle to the other which shows that the editing in terms of editing clips together was very simple.  In total (for this clip alone) there are only 8 cuts and 5 different camera angles.


Harvard Reference:


  • The Martian 2015 - Heating Problems clip, 2015 (YouTube) Fortia Alfeche, 19th January. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QHthglsm6s (Accessed 12th April)


Love,
Christie

No comments:

Post a Comment