Tuesday 2 May 2017

Source: The Making of The Martian

Hey guys! I'm back and today I am for another blog post...

This source was really helpful in terms of my producing my essay - this is because it had a lot of information about the behind the scenes of The Martian and also I felt when I was reading it, I was learning something different.  On this blog post, there are points talking about the use of the GoPro, the visual effects in the film and also the music.

Link:

http://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-and-video-editing/the-making-of-the-martian/

Screenshot:



The use of GoPro in the movie

GoPro CEO Nick Woodman talked about how GoPro managed to get a very important role in The Martian.  He firstly explained that it wasn't product placement - below are points he mentioned in the video:

"I believe that originally it was...just supposed to be a prop...part of their spacesuits"

"Once Ridley started to see the camera being used in the film...he was really impressed with the image quality"

"I was told he started realising that they could incorporate the GoPro more and more into the stealth storytelling"

Editing

I have done a blog post of editing but I am going to be explaining how this source talking about the post-production stage of The Martian. The editor, Pietro Scalia, got interviewed by Studio Daily and he are some main points I liked the look of.

"Principal photography was shot in stereo 3D with some 11 Red cameras, including Epic Dragons and Scarlett Dragons fit with Angenieux Optimo lenses and more than a dozen GoPro Hero4 cameras"

"In the end we had 250 hours of footage, per eye, and another 60-70 hours of GoPro footage"

Colour grading

I have explained a bit more information on colour grading in the blog post titled 'The use of colour in The Martian'.
Stephen Nalamura was the colourist for The Martian and here are a few points he mentioned while having a conversation with Randi Altman's post Perspective.

"Quite a few shots involved a lot of sky replacements and the addition of mountains in the background"

"When I added the heavy colour correction Ridley wanted...that kind of orange look"



There are a lot more information on the source itself but I thought I would just mention some facts I found out in the source..
Hope you enjoyed!!

-C

No comments:

Post a Comment